Tuesday 27 January 2015

Holocaust: Night Will Fall

I’ve been trying for the past three days to write something about this documentary which aired on Channel 4 on Saturday night and have really struggled – in many ways I think the documentary speaks for itself and you should just go and watch it. No words can really do it, or the footage it shows justice.  Just watch it.

It’s tough and not pleasant viewing, but it is a wonderful piece of craftsmanship. I’m glad the Imperial War Museum decided to finish the piece Bernstein and his team began all those years ago and that Singer and his team documented that process. Simply put - just watch it.
.............................................................................................

Since watching the documentary I watched the brief clip on the Channel 4 website which sees director, Andre Singer and producer Sally Angel talk about the process of making the documentary and it was an enlightening five minutes. Both spoke openly about the process and made some very thought provoking statements which have added to the impact Night Will Fall has had on me as a viewer.
To begin with, Singer recalls how they’d begun with the intention of making a historian/expert led piece, but quickly realised the need to tell it from the perspective of those who were there and so ditched all the material they had already recorded and began again. He goes on to say that this documentary:

“has a particular resonance, number one, because it is the 70th anniversary of the liberation of the camps at the end of the war and the generation that participated either as victims, or saw it or were there, sadly of course are dying and this is probably the last chance to look back from living memory”.
 I mean how true – yet it’s probably not something many of us think about, or don’t wish to think about. It is in living memory – most of what we know is told by those who lived through it and who survived, yet at the same time, it’s seems like so long ago because we struggle to comprehend a society in which that could be allowed happen (I know there are recent and on going events that spark comparison but I’m concentrating on this one event for the moment).

 The importance of the documentary is further compounded by a comment by Angel:

“I think it’s a kind of undocumented side of things that people who do bear witness to atrocity, cameramen, journalists and film makers often have to carry quite a lot of stuff with them that they can’t then share with other people, so for me there is an important element that actually we have to look at ways in which we honour people who bear witness to atrocity…”
In the documentary, those cameramen who recorded the footage are overcome with emotion as much as those survivors who recalled their experiences. They’ve been traumatised too, and again that’s not something I’ve often thought about.
Therefore, in finishing the film, the IWM have completed an act of remembrance; a way in which to honour the people who made it and have had to live with those experiences, because they were ordered to go into the camps and film what they saw; just as much as it honours the memory of those who lost their lives there as victims, by recording what happened. It provides context for the material, you’re not just watching archive footage, but are told the story of who was involved and why. As Angel comments, ‘it’s a really important piece of documentary evidence about what happened when the Allies went in and liberated the camps” and having finished that, as the original film makers intended, has meant that that record is now preserved for many years to come.
I’m sure there will be critics of this documentary, those who say it is too macabre and graphic in its imagery, but it appears all these decisions were ones Singer didn’t make lightly:

“We had to make quite severe choices about how much archive to put in and for me the biggest dilemma in the whole making of the film was how far do you got to show really horrific atrocity footage, to a public?…”

The intention originally was to make a film that would show the Germans what the Nazi’s had done in their name, to spread guilt. But the delay in finishing meant it lost its relevance and became politically sensitive so was shelved by the British Government. Times have moved on and it holds different meaning now, but that footage is still as horrific for anyone to view and I am sure, as Singer describes, “you don’t become anaesthetized to seeing the material”. We may be a modern audience with different sensibilities but that degree of human suffering is undoubtedly just as difficult to see today as it once was.
I’m forced to think about the first blog in this series where I discussed the idea that every child should go to Auschwitz, or another camp and I question my decision. The footage I saw when I watched this was very unsettling for me as a 23 year old – I can’t imagine how I’d have responded as a 15 year old. It’s tricky, because I stand by my original argument – I wouldn’t be the person I was today if I hadn’t been, yet to reveal the unedited truth, as the documentary and film footage depict, to a ‘child’… I don’t know. That takes the education to a whole different level and I think, one that is age sensitive.

Singer’s closing remark goes as follows:

“I’ve been quite shocked at how little generations under my generation and certainly under the generation who were there during the war, know really, about what happened, it’s kind of already distant history and it shouldn’t be because it’s our living memory, it’s our living history.”
I really don’t like to think of this as being true. I mean can it be distant history after only 70 years? It still feels very recent to me, I suppose because it is an event in living memory and I have been fortunate to hear people recall their extra ordinary experiences first hand. It’s dominated the school curriculum for so long and there is so much ‘history’ written about that period, can people really know so little about what happened?

Singer goes on to talk about the modern relevance of the documentary and the issues its raises – again issues I’ve thought about and engaged with over recent weeks -:

 “The subject matter I think has become more relevant now because of what we’re seeing across Europe, across the world perhaps, sort of an increase from the right… fundamentalism if you want to call it that, or anti-Semitism and so on, are on the increase rather than decrease and I think it’s a timely reminder of what happened last time, in the 1930s, when that swept across Europe.”
We live in scary times and I hope to god it doesn’t take another dramatic turn of events like this for society to reconfigure our sense of tolerance and accept that we now live in multi-cultural and multi-faith societies. An idealistic view perhaps but I’m sure I’m not alone.

The final words of the short video are given by Angel who recites the last lines of the script - ‘unless the world learns the lesson these pictures teach, night will fall. But by God’s grace we who live will learn.’ She then concludes ‘well the question is, have we really learnt?” and I ask you now the same question.
Link to press release -

No comments:

Post a Comment