Wednesday 23 December 2015

London’s Urban Jungle @ The Horniman Museum & Gardens

I am so pleased to be able to say that this past weekend London’s Urban Jungle, an exhibition I’ve curated together with the Horniman Museum & Gardens, opened.

The idea for the project began two years ago and was closely tied up with the work I did for my MA, and one thing led to another and here we are - it’s now open for you all to go and see.

My hope is that it will introduce people to a side of history we don’t often think about – the history of the exotic animal trade – where it began, who was involved and what impact it had on Victorian society. It will also, I hope, bring Charles Jamrach to a new audience. He’s a fascinating character in London’s history and there are some interesting stories to be told about his business, some of which feature in the exhibition.

It’s on until the 21st February 2016 so please go if you can – here’s a link to the exhibits webpage and do keep an eye on it as we’re hoping to add a few bits and pieces over the coming weeks.


And please tweet – it would be great to hear what you think about it! What questions has it prompted? What stories have you heard? It would be great to get a conversation going if we can.

I hope you find it as interesting to view as I did researching it! The Horniman Museum is a great place to spend an afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment