Sunday 10 November 2013

Tudors, Costume and a Chattri - Public Engagement Reaching New Heights

As a history enthusiast and doing a Public History course I’ve naturally become more aware of examples of history around me. However, since starting my MA I can’t help but notice how much more in tune people I know have become with history, especially in our local area. It may well just be coincidence but over the last few months I’ve been having more and more conversations with people about history, and interestingly, they’ve been with those who before, showed little interest. The chances are it is purely coincidence but I have become really intrigued by this emerging pattern.

Elvetham Heath
www.elvethamhotel.co.uk
The best example of this has been my Mum. Like most families, when we were younger and on holiday, castles and palaces were popular destinations, but I can’t remember mum ever being really gripped, or the one to suggest we went in the first place. In fact I don’t really recall her ever showing too much interest history, at least not in the traditional sense. However, that has recently changed. Having attended a function at Elvetham Heath Hotel she returned full of stories about the architecture, the stain glass windows and the oak tree planted by Elizabeth I. This was unusual. The next thing I know it’s gone quiet and she is completely absorbed in her laptop. I then get a well-informed history of the hotel and am told how in 1426 it became the home of the Seymour family. My favourite bit has to be how in 1591 Edward, Earl of Hertford, entertained Queen Elizabeth I at the sight in attempt to regain favour after his family fell into disrepute. I never knew of this local connection to Tudor history and I never would have, had mum not gone and her new found ‘historydar’ gone off. This is just one of a few examples. I’ve also been advised to go see the 13th century church and the statue of the Duke of Wellington she passes on the way to work.

A similar thing happened when my former boss sent me a text advising me to get changed out of my pyjamas and head to the local branch of the Embroidery Guild, where guest speakers Catherine Flower-Bond and Joanne Briffett of Tudor Tales were doing a talk on the history of Tudor fashion. There motto is ‘History is exciting – so experience it’ and what a great motto that is. I only caught the tail end of the session but was captivated by the stories I heard. The other ladies couldn’t wait to tell me about how the children were swaddled and hung along the walls, and about all the different things they’d learnt. Again it’s that idea of ‘history in action’, professional historians using their passion to engage an unsuspecting audience. I know for a fact my boss isn’t all too interested in history but that night you’d never have known, for she was totally enthralled and fascinated by what she’d been told.
Chattri at Patcham
www.chattri.com
My final example occurred on an ordinary drive to Brighton, where near Patcham, Dad and I noticed a new brown sign for the Chattri. My Dad is originally from Brighton and so, unknowing, I asked him what it was. He had a vague notion but it was my Nan who filled us both in. Despite her ailing memory she was able to tell us about how the Chattri stands as a memorial to the Indian soldiers who had been cremated there, having lost their lives in the First World War. I’d known of Brighton’s connection with the Indian Soldiers, many having been treated in the Pavilion when it was turned into a hospital and my mind was put to rest. I didn’t think any more of it until I turned up at my Dads about a week later and was presented with a copy of The Resident (the magazine of Horsell Residents’ Association) which contained within an interesting article about the restoration of the Muslim Burial ground on Horsell Common and its association with the Chattri in Brighton. Just by passing a brown sign on a journey we’ve done many a time, and asking a simple question, Dad and I learnt a great deal about this historical landmark.

It seems that my interest in the history around me has also encouraged others to be more vigilant and inquisitive. We’re beginning to learn from each other; to exchange information and observations and I feel that has been a really positive thing to have occurred over the last few weeks. There is a growing realisation that we can all have a part in the sharing of history; it need not only be left to academics and that is something I’ve personally begun to witness and embrace.   

No comments:

Post a Comment