Saturday 5 October 2013

Welcome!

So here we are!

Imperial War Museum, London
Having finally overcome technical and design issues here is my first blog entry for ispyhistory. As a current Public History MA student at Royal Holloway University, it was recommended to us all to start a blog where we could discuss our views on public history and to demonstrate our enthusiasm for this vibrant subject. Having been a regular diarist in the past, the idea of keeping this going doesn’t daunt me and with a topic as broad and captivating as history, the material should never run dry.

History is so well loved in our society and its everywhere we look. A common reaction when you explain to someone that you’re studying history is for them to pull a face as if to say “how dull!” And indeed some bits are - I find economic history that way, but others find it absolutely fascinating. We’re not all cut from the same cloth and I think that is one of the great advantages of studying history; you can pursue what you personally are interested in.
Test Pit from an Arch Dig
I firmly believe that everyone can find a part of history with which they are willing to engage and the opportunities to do so are ever increasing. Whether it is visiting museums, conducting genealogical research, participating in an archaeological dig or watching a documentary on television, we all engage with history, both consciously and unconsciously. 
Where it all began - A Family Photo

The aim of this blog then is to comment and review my experiences of history over the coming months and I invite discussion. Here’s my opinion, but we all see and think about things differently and it would be great to hear yours!

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I’ll write soon, Elle.

No comments:

Post a Comment